This recipe is designed to be quick and easy, and it features foods that often appear in our emergency food boxes or at our farmers’ market. We often distribute recipe cards and free samples of simple recipes at our food distributions, to encourage
everyone to try new foods, get creative in the kitchen, and eat a balanced diet.
- 8 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 16-ounce package of dry lentils
- 2 15-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Brown rice
- Combine onion and bell pepper in a large pot over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until vegetables brown and begin to stick to the bottom of the pot, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of the broth and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, and remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, cook for 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in cilantro and serve over cooked brown rice. Enjoy!